About a third of the population are Diabetic or pre Diabetic!
This is a definitive paper just released.
Avoid and treat Type 2 Diabetes and control Type 1 Diabetes. Same goes with your health.
EVERY diabetic patient I know that reduces their carbohydrate content in a controlled manner has an improvement.
Diabetes should be called Carbohydrate Diabetes and not Sugar Diabetes. It is a problem of handling glucose load and that is all carbohydrate is. In fact sugar or sucrose is just a form of carbohydrate.
Here are the major points for people with Diabetes but the same goes for everyone.
• We present major evidence for low-carbohydrate diets as first approach for diabetes.
• Such diets reliably reduce high blood glucose, the most salient feature of diabetes.
• Benefits do not require weight loss although nothing is better for weight reduction. • Carbohydrate-restricted diets reduce or eliminate medication.
• There are no side effects comparable to those seen in intensive treatment with drugs.
The 12 Points of Evidence
1. Hyperglycemia is the most salient feature of diabetes. Dietary carbohydrate restriction has the greatest effect on decreasing blood glucose levels.
2. During the epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes, caloric increases have been due almost entirely to increased carbohydrate.
3. Benefits of dietary carbohydrate restriction do not require weight loss.
4. Although weight loss is not required for benefit, no dietary intervention is better than carbohydrate restriction for weight loss.
5. Adherence to low-carbohydrate diets in people with type 2 diabetes is at least as good as adherence to any other dietary interventions and is frequently significantly better.
6. Replacement of carbohydrate with protein is generally beneficial.
7. Dietary total and saturated fat do not correlate with risk of CVD.
8. Plasma saturated fatty acids are controlled by dietary carbohydrate more than by dietary lipids.
9. The best predictor of microvascular and, to a lesser extent, macro-vascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes, is glycemic control (HbA1c).
10. Dietary carbohydrate restriction is the most effective method (other than starvation) of reducing serum triglycerides and increasing high-density lipoprotein (HDL).
11. Patients with type 2 diabetes on carbohydrate-restricted diets reduce and frequently eliminate medication. People with type 1 usually require lower insulin.
12. Intensive glucose lowering by dietary carbohydrate restriction has no side effects comparable to the effects of intensive pharmacologic.
Great article that spells out the current science – reduce your sugar and carbs for your health – please. I would replace the carbs with more fat.